bell-shapedtiny white, nodding bell-shaped flowers that have a sweet perfume and medium-bright green leaves that are lance-shaped, 4 to 8 inches (10 to 20 cm.) high and 3 to 5 inches (7.5 to12. 5 cm.) wide.
How poisonous is lily of the valley?
Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis) is poisonous and contains heart-active substances. Contact the Poison Information Center (22 59 13 00) if your child may have eaten more than 5 berries or flowers from lily of the valley. Also get in touch if the child may have eaten more than a small piece of a leaf.
Where does lily of the valley grow best?
Lily of the Valley relishes well-drained but moist soil and does best in partial shade but can also be adapted to full sun or full shade, depending on the amount of moisture it receives.
What do lily of the valleys look like?
Lily of the valley blooms are bell-shaped and appear as a cluster on one side of a leafless stalk and last for about three weeks. The leaves are located at the base of the plant. The delicate white or soft pink flowers are very fragrant.
Are lily of the valley the same as lilies?
Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis) is not a true lily; it’s actually part of the asparagus family, though its foliage is reminiscent of some lilies. Medium green leaves about 5 to 10 inches long and 1 to 3 inches wide arch from the center of a clump.
Why do you have to wash hands after touching lily of the valley?
The lily-of-the-valley can easily induce fatigue, diarrhoea and vomiting. Extreme poisoning after ingestion of the plant leads to irregular heart beat and mental confusion. Always wash your hands well after touching the plant – better yet, use gloves.
What happens if you smell lily of the valley?
While its scent may seem sweet — delivering the uplifting, fresh notes of a flower in bloom — in plant form, Lily of the Valley is poisonous and should not be ingested by humans or animals (smelling it is totally safe!).
What month do lily of the valley bloom?
In most places, the lily of the valley blooms from early to mid-spring, which is from March to April. Depending on when the blooms first appear, you can expect them to continue to bloom for at least a month. This means that you can expect them to bloom through the spring and summer months.
What is special about lily of the valley?
The lily of the valley is a flower that is most often viewed as a symbol of rebirth and humility. It can be used to symbolize chastity, purity, sweetness, and motherhood, too. Lily of the valley flowers are thought to bring luck in love but can also symbolize a return of happiness.
Why are lily of the valley so special?
What do lilies of the valley represent? Lily of the valley has represented different things across the centuries. In the Victorian era, it symbolized a return to happiness. In ancient times it was associated with humility and purity, as well as the goddess Ostara (from whose name we get our modern Easter).
Is lily of the valley poisonous on skin?
Answer: Lily of the valley is extremely toxic if ingested. It can also cause severe dermatitis if touched.
Is lily of the valley highly toxic to humans?
Lily of the valley poisoning occurs from ingestion of the leaves, flowers, or roots. The cardiac glycosides are gastrointestinal irritants, may be responsible for a variety of cardiac arrhythmias (e.g., irregular pulse, bradycardia, rapid thready pulse, ventricular fibrillation), and can be fatal.
Is lily of the valley poisonous when dried?
However, for humans and some animals, such as pigs and goats, all parts of the plant are poisonous. Lily of the valley has medicinal applications, despite its toxic properties: The dried, over-ground plant parts contain cardiac glycosides, similar to strophanthin, but less poisonous.
How long does lily of the valley poisoning take?
Symptoms last for 1 to 3 days and may require a hospital stay. Death is unlikely. DO NOT touch or eat any plant with which you are not familiar.
Can I touch lily of the valley?
Is it OK to touch Lily of the Valley? Yes, it is perfectly safe to touch the lily of the valley. While all parts of the plant are toxic, it is only dangerous when ingested. As a safety measure, always wash your hands after handling the plant and before eating.
What does lily of the valley do to your body?
Lily-of-the-valley is used for heart problems including heart failure and irregular heartbeat. It is also used for urinary tract infections (UTIs), kidney stones, weak contractions in labor, epilepsy, fluid retention (edema), strokes and resulting paralysis, eye infections (conjunctivitis), and leprosy.