Is Lily of the Valley poisonous to dogs?

When it comes to the safety of our beloved pets, it’s important to be aware of potential hazards in our homes and gardens. Lily of the Valley (Convallaria majalis) is a delicate and fragrant flowering plant that is often used in perfumes and fragrances. However, if you are a dog owner, you may be wondering if this beautiful plant poses any risks to your furry friend. In this article, we will explore the potential toxicity of Lily of the Valley to dogs and provide you with the information you need to keep your pet safe.

Understanding Lily of the Valley

Lily of the Valley is a perennial plant native to Europe, known for its striking white bell-shaped flowers and sweet fragrance. It is commonly grown in gardens and is also widely used in the perfume industry. While it is an elegant addition to any garden or fragrance collection, it is important to note that all parts of the Lily of the Valley plant, including the flowers, leaves, stems, and roots, contain toxins known as cardiac glycosides.
Cardiac glycosides are natural compounds that affect the heart and can be toxic to humans and animals. These compounds, including convallatoxin and convallarin, can cause various symptoms when ingested, including vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, abdominal pain, arrhythmias, and even seizures. The severity of symptoms depends on the amount ingested and the size of the dog. It is important to note that lily of the valley toxicity is not exclusive to dogs and can also affect other pets such as cats and even humans.

Recognizing the Signs of Lily of the Valley Poisoning

If you suspect that your dog has ingested Lily of the Valley or any part of the plant, it is important to watch for possible symptoms of toxicity. The onset of symptoms can vary depending on the amount ingested and the individual dog’s sensitivity. Common signs of Lily of the Valley toxicity in dogs may include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, loss of appetite, weakness, abdominal pain, irregular heartbeat, and changes in behavior or coordination.
If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms, it is important to seek veterinary attention immediately. Your veterinarian will be able to conduct a thorough examination, perform diagnostic tests, and provide appropriate treatment based on the severity of the toxicity. Do not attempt to induce vomiting or administer home remedies without professional guidance as this may worsen the situation or be ineffective.

Preventing Lily of the Valley Poisoning

Prevention is always better than cure, and taking proactive measures to protect your dog from Lily of the Valley toxicity is critical. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Knowledge is the key: Learn about the plants in your home and garden. Identify all lily of the valley plants and be aware of their potential toxicity.

2. Remove the plants: If you have Lily of the Valley plants in your yard and you have a dog, consider removing them altogether. Choose pet-safe alternatives that still provide beauty and fragrance without the risks.
3. Secure the environment: If removing the plants is not an option, make sure your dog does not have access to lily of the valley. Use barriers, fences, or raised planters to prevent accidental ingestion.

4. Supervise outdoor activities: If your dog is outside, keep an eye on him to make sure he does not wander into areas where Lily of the Valley may be growing.

5. Know the signs: Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of Lily of the Valley poisoning so that you can recognize them immediately and seek veterinary help if necessary.


While lily of the valley is a beautiful plant commonly used in perfumes and fragrances, it poses a potential risk to dogs due to its toxic properties. The cardiac glycosides present in the plant can cause various symptoms and complications when ingested by dogs. It is important for dog owners to be aware of the potential dangers and take preventative measures to keep their pets safe. By removing Lily of the Valley plants from the environment or ensuring that dogs do not have access to them, pet owners can minimize the risk of toxicity. If you suspect your dog has ingested Lily of the Valley or is showing signs of toxicity, it is important to seek immediate veterinary attention. Remember, the well-being of our furry friends should always be our top priority.


Are lily of the valley toxic to dogs?

Yes, lily of the valley plants are toxic to dogs.

What specific toxins are found in lily of the valley that are harmful to dogs?

Lily of the valley contains cardiac glycosides, such as convallatoxin and convallarin, which are highly toxic to dogs.

What are the symptoms of lily of the valley poisoning in dogs?

Dogs that have ingested lily of the valley may exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, decreased heart rate, irregular heartbeat, weakness, seizures, and in severe cases, it can lead to coma or death.

What should I do if I suspect my dog has ingested lily of the valley?

If you suspect your dog has ingested lily of the valley, it is important to seek immediate veterinary attention. Contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal clinic for guidance.

How is lily of the valley poisoning in dogs diagnosed and treated?

A veterinarian will perform a physical examination and may recommend diagnostic tests such as blood work, urine analysis, or imaging studies to assess the dog’s condition. Treatment may include inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal to absorb toxins, intravenous fluids, medications to stabilize the heart, and supportive care.

Are there any other plants that are toxic to dogs that I should be aware of?

Yes, several other plants can be toxic to dogs, including azaleas, lilies (certain types, like Easter lilies), daffodils, tulips, sago palm, oleander, and many more. It’s important to be aware of the plants in and around your home and ensure they are not harmful to your furry friend.