Lily of the valley is a poisonous plant Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis) is poisonous and contains heart-active substances. Contact the Poison Information Center (22 59 13 00) if your child may have eaten more than 5 berries or flowers from lily of the valley.

Are lilies of the valley toxic to humans?

The flowers, fruit, and leaves of the lily of the valley plant are poisonous.

Is lily of the valley poisonous to smell?

While its scent may seem sweet — delivering the uplifting, fresh notes of a flower in bloom — in plant form, Lily of the Valley is poisonous and should not be ingested by humans or animals (smelling it is totally safe!).

Can touching lily of the valley make you sick?

Answer: Lily of the valley is extremely toxic if ingested. It can also cause severe dermatitis if touched.

What does lily of the valley poison do?

The most common effects are stomach ache, blurred vision, slow and irregular pulse, and in severe cases, seizures, vomiting and diarrhea, heart arrhythmia and even death. Lily of the valley toxicity is severe and difficult to treat. A rapid trip to the hospital is required even in cases of suspected ingestion.

Why wash your hands after touching lily of the valley?

The lily-of-the-valley can easily induce fatigue, diarrhoea and vomiting. Extreme poisoning after ingestion of the plant leads to irregular heart beat and mental confusion. Always wash your hands well after touching the plant – better yet, use gloves.

What happens if a human eats a lily?

The entire lily family, including Lily of the Valley, Daylilies, and Easter Lilies, are toxic to both humans and pets. In humans, any part of the plant, when eaten, causes headache, hallucination, red blotchy skin, possibly coma and sometimes death.

How long does it take for lily poisoning?

These symptoms start 0 to 12 hours after ingestion. Signs of kidney damage start about 12 to 24 hours after ingestion and include increased urination and dehydration. Kidney failure occurs within 24 to 72 hours, leading to death if the cat isn’t treated. Early veterinary treatment greatly improves the cat’s prognosis.

Is there an antidote for lily of the valley?

Symptoms of toxicity include nausea, vomiting, general malaise, chest pain, weakness, altered mental status, very slow heart rate, irregular heartbeat, ectopy and cardiac arrest. Treatment is primarily supportive. GI decontamination with activated charcoal can be considered.

What is the most poisonous part of lily of the valley?

Convallaria majalis (lily of the valley)

Cardenolides concentrations are highest in the roots, but all plant parts are of concern. There are over 30 glycosides and convallatoxin is the most toxic with an LD50 of 0.08 mg/kg body weight (Fenton, 2002).

Which lilies are poisonous to humans?

Crinum lily bulbs can cause problems if eaten. Varieties of Zephyranthes lilies are toxic to people. Eating any part of rain lilies (Zephyranthes stellaris) or atamasco lilies (Zephyranthes atamasco) could result in dizziness, collapsing or stomach pain.

What are the side effects of lily-of-the-valley?

Lily-of-the-valley can cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, abnormal heart rhythm, headache, decreased consciousness and responsiveness, and visual color disturbances.

Which lilies are poisonous?

Both lily-of-the-valley and the gloriosa or flame lily are very dangerous to cats and dogs. Lily-of-the-valley contains toxins that cause the heart to beat abnormally. This abnormal heart rhythm can be life-threatening. Other signs of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, and weakness.

What makes lily-of-the-valley toxic?

The plant contains a long list of toxins, mainly cardiac glycosides (some authors report 20–40)—primarily convallarin and convallamarin—that affect the heart and saponins that affect the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. The entire plant contains toxins; its leaves, berries, stems and roots are all poisonous.

Which is the most poisonous flower in the world?

Delphinium flowers. Young plants and seeds are poisonous, causing nausea, muscle twitches, paralysis, and often death.

Will my dog eat lily of the valley?

Lily of the Valley (Convallaria majalis) is a perennial plant (grows back every year) that has small bell-shaped white flowers that are beautiful and fragrant. The plant also produces berries. It is not a true Lily, many of which are also toxic to animals, but it is still toxic to dogs, cats, and horses.