Lavender sachets are a wonderful way to add a fresh and relaxing scent to your home. They are especially useful for scenting drawers and closets where clothes and linens are stored. Not only will they make your clothes smell great, but they will also help repel moths and other insects that can damage your clothes. Making a lavender sachet for your drawer is an easy and inexpensive DIY project that you can do in just a few simple steps. In this article, we will guide you through the process of making a lavender sachet drawer so that you can enjoy the benefits of this delightful scent in your home.
Before you start making your lavender sachet drawer, you will need to gather a few materials. Here is a list of what you will need:
- Fabric: You can use any fabric to make your pouch, but it’s best to choose something lightweight and breathable, such as cotton or linen. You’ll need enough fabric to make a small pouch or sachet to hold your lavender.
- Lavender: You can use either dried lavender flowers or lavender essential oil to scent your bag. Dried lavender flowers are more traditional, but lavender essential oil is a great alternative if you don’t have access to dried flowers.
- Sewing supplies: You’ll need a needle and thread to sew your pouch. If you’re not confident in your sewing skills, you can use fabric glue instead.
- Scissors: You’ll need a pair of scissors to cut your fabric.
- Optional: You may want to add some embellishments to your bag, such as ribbon or lace.
Step 1: Preparing the Fabric
The first step in making your lavender sachet drawer is to prepare your fabric. Cut your fabric into a square or rectangle, depending on the size you want your sachet to be. A good size to aim for is about 4-5 inches in length and width.
Fold your fabric in half with the right sides facing each other, then sew two of the edges together, leaving one edge open. This will create a pouch or bag that you can fill with your lavender.
Before turning your pouch right side out, trim any excess fabric from the sewn edges and clip the corners to reduce bulk. Then turn your bag right side out so the seam is on the inside.
Your fabric pouch is now ready to be filled with lavender.
Step 2: Fill the bag
Now that your cloth bag is ready, it’s time to fill it with lavender. You can use either dried lavender flowers or lavender essential oil, depending on your preference.
If you’re using dried lavender flowers, fill the bag about two-thirds full. Be sure to leave enough room at the top to fold the open edge of the fabric over and sew it closed.
If you’re using lavender essential oil, place a few drops on a cotton ball or small piece of fabric. Then place the cotton ball or piece of fabric inside the pouch and sew the open edge closed.
Be careful not to overfill your bag, as this can make it difficult to close and cause the lavender to spill out. Only a small amount of lavender is needed to enjoy its delightful scent.
Step 3: Seal the bag
Once you’ve filled your bag with lavender, it’s time to seal it. Fold the open edge of the fabric over and sew it closed with a needle and thread. If you’re not sure about your sewing skills, you can use fabric glue instead. Just be sure to let the glue dry completely before using your bag.
If you want to add a decorative touch to your bag, you can add a ribbon or lace trim before you sew the edge closed. This can give your sachet a more finished look and make it a lovely gift for friends and family.
Your lavender sachet drawer is now complete and ready to use! Simply place it in your drawer or closet and enjoy the relaxing scent of lavender.
Step 4: Place the bag in the drawer
To use your lavender sachet drawer, simply place it in the drawer or closet where you store your clothes or linens. The scent of lavender will naturally permeate your clothes and linens, keeping them fresh and clean.
You can also use your lavender sachet in other areas of your home, such as your car, bathroom, or bedroom. Simply place the sachet where you want to enjoy the soothing aroma of lavender.
If the scent of your sachet begins to fade over time, you can refresh it by adding a few drops of lavender essential oil to the fabric. This will help revive the scent and prolong the life of your pouch.
Tips for Using Lavender Sachets
- Use high quality lavender: The quality of the lavender you use can greatly affect the fragrance and effectiveness of your sachet. Look for high quality lavender flowers or essential oil for the best results.
- Store your sachet properly: When not in use, store your sachet in a sealed plastic bag or container to preserve its fragrance and freshness.
- Refresh your pouch as needed: Over time, the scent of your pouch may begin to fade. To refresh it, simply add a few drops of lavender essential oil to the fabric.
- Use multiple sachets: To get the most out of your lavender sachet, consider using multiple sachets throughout your home. You can place them in drawers, closets, bathrooms, and other areas where you want to enjoy the soothing aroma of lavender.
- Use sachets when traveling: Lavender sachets are a great way to keep your clothes and luggage smelling fresh while traveling. Simply place a sachet in your suitcase or carry-on bag to enjoy the benefits of lavender on the go.
By following these tips, you can enjoy the full benefits and fragrance of your lavender sachets for a long time.
Making a lavender sachet drawer is an easy and enjoyable DIY project that can help bring the soothing and relaxing scent of lavender into your home. With just a few basic materials and a little time, you can create a beautiful sachet that will keep your clothes and linens smelling fresh and clean.
Whether you use dried lavender flowers or lavender essential oil, your sachet will provide a natural and pleasant aroma that can help relieve stress and promote relaxation. It can also help repel moths and other insects that can damage your clothing.
By following the steps outlined in this article and using the tips provided, you can create a lavender sachet drawer that will provide a delightful scent and enhance the ambiance of your home. So why not try making your own lavender sachet today and enjoy the many benefits of this wonderful scent?
What materials do I need to make a lavender sachet drawer?
You will need fabric, lavender, sewing supplies such as a needle and thread, scissors, and optional decorative elements such as ribbon or lace.
Can I use lavender essential oil instead of dried lavender flowers?
Yes, you can use lavender essential oil to scent your sachet. Simply place a few drops onto a cotton ball or small piece of fabric and place it inside the pouch.
How do I seal the sachet closed?
Fold the open edge of the fabric over and use a needle and thread to sew it closed. If you’re not confident in your sewing skills, you can use fabric glue instead.
Where should I place my lavender sachet drawer?
You can place your sachet in your drawer or closet, as well as in other areas of your home such as your car, bathroom, or bedroom.
How often do I need to refresh my sachet?
Over time, the scent of your sachet may start to fade. To refresh it, simply add a few drops of lavender essential oil to the fabric.